Learn about Formosan Termites
Formosan termite facts:
Originally from China, these termites are the most voracious, aggressive, and devious of over 2,000 termite species known to science.
Formosan termites are a subterranean species of termite.
Swarmer Formosan termites are about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) in overall length, including their wings.
|Long, oval||1/2 inches (1.27 cm)|
Largely North America – AL, CA, FL, GA, HI, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX, VA
These termites are organized into huge underground colonies and build intricate mud nests inside the walls of a structure.
Formosan termites are the most aggressive subterranean termite species. Formosans are organized into huge underground colonies and build intricate mud nests inside the walls of a structure.
Because of their aggressive nature, Formosan termites are difficult to control once they infest a structure. Prevention is key
Worker and soldier termites can live up to two years, and a termite queen can live up to 50 years.
- Avoid water accumulation near your home’s foundation.
- Divert water away with properly functioning downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Never bury wood scraps or waste lumber in the yard.
- Most importantly, eliminate wood contact with the soil. Maintain a one-inch gap between the soil and wood portions of the building.
Do you think that you may have termites or want to prevent them? Give us a call or fill out the form on this page for your free termite pest control consultation.